w7_Thuraiya_ Project Team Roles & Responsibilities

Project Team Roles & Responsibilities
1-      Problem identification:
After receiving the project charter for the commencement of a new project and the WBS is defined a new team to be formed to deliver the task.  one of the important actions to move forward from this stage is to establish clear roles & responsibilities to the team members. To measure each role and the responsibilities assigned to them Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM) which divides the responsibilities into Responsible, Accountable, Consulted and Informed (RACI) it is used in order to define clearly the expected role from each one.

2-      Feasible Alternatives
This can be done either by:
-          Role description
-          RAM/RACI Matrix
-          The third option is to combine the two options.

3-      Development of the outcome of the alternatives
This section of the blog explains the three different options listed above:
1-      Role description
Role
description
Project Director
The role of the director is responsible of overall operational and management responsibility of the project and to monitor and manage the project during the term.
Project Manager
Responsible the overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a project.
Project Engineer
project engineer's responsibilities include schedule preparation, pre-planning and resource forecasting for engineering and other technical activities relating to the project.
Financial Advisors
To support OPWP during the term of the service in analysis the market and sitting the minimum eligibility requirements for the bidders who will be qualified, evaluating bids and Negotiate with the bidders
Technical Advisors
To provide the technical support to the project team and evaluate the technical bids.
Legal Advisors
To support the advisory team on the legal aspect of the project.
Legal Counsel
Overall support on legal aspect and insurance of compliance with the regulator.

2-      RAM/RAQI Matrix:
After the WBS is defined a new team to be formed to deliver the task.  one of the important actions to move forward from this stage is to establish clear roles & responsibilities to the team members. To measure each role and the responsibilities assigned to them Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM) which divides the responsibilities into Responsible, Accountable, Consulted and Informed (RACI) it is used in order to define clearly the expected role from each one.


The table below defines the role of each:


 for the projects in OPWP the following tables illustrates the RAM/RAQI Matrix:
Code
Activity
Project Director
project manager
project Engineer
Technical Advisors
Financial Advisors
Legal Advisors
legal Council
01.00.00.00
OPWP Procurement Process







01.11.00.00
Project Definition
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.21.00
Kick off meeting
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.22.00
PDR, CPP and Risk allocation
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.21.31
Preparation of the project layout
A
R
R
R
I
I
C
01.11.21.32
manage stakeholders
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.21.33
approve document by regulator.
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
01.12.00.00
Tendering Period
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.23.00
Request for Qualification
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.23.34
preparation of documents
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.23.35
approve document by regulator.
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
01.11.23.36
Release of RFQ to the Market
A
R
R
I
R
I
C
01.11.23.37
answer clarification
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.23.38
evaluate Statement of Qualifications
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.11.23.39
Regulatory approval
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
01.12.24.00
Request for Proposal
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.24.310
Site Visit
A
I
R
R
R
I
C
01.12.24.311
Bid evaluation
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.24.312
Issue clarification request
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.24.313
Receive responses from bidders
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.24.314
Finalise bid evaluation
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.24.315
Negotiation with selected bidder
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.24.316
Regulatory approval
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
01.12.24.317
Award and execution
A
R
R
R
R
R
C
01.12.24.318
Access to Site required
A
R
R
I
I
I
C



3-      combination of both options:
to provide as many information available to avoid the risk of misguided during the term of the service.


4-      Selection criteria
The most important element of roles and responsibilities are to be clearly identified and comprehensively explained to eliminate the risk of any delays or incorrect actions during the term of the service.

5-      Analysis and Comparison of the alternatives
From the above data option 1 gives brief summary of the job without any details. Option 2 on the other hand is very detailed and gives a clear idea on the breakdown of the tasks in addition to the exact role of each member in each and every milestone. Further option 3 which is to combine both options and provide the members with both the description and the matrix insures that the member captures the full picture of his role.
6-      Selection of the preferred alternative
The best alternative is option three and that is due to the comprehensive explanation of the role and the responsibilities of each member.

7-      Performance monitoring and the post evaluation results
The selected option should be implemented for the upcoming projects and measure the understanding of the members through their performance during the term of the service.
8-      References
i.                     CARA DOGLIONE, JULY 25, 2016, Understanding Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RACI Matrix)
https://project-management.com/understanding-responsibility-assignment-matrix-raci-matrix/

ii.                   Duncan Haughey, RACI MATRIX
https://www.projectsmart.co.uk/raci-matrix.php

iii.                 E. Scott Geller, Ph.D., The Stages of Teamwork



Comments

  1. AWESOME job, Aiya!!!

    Make sure that you go back to the handouts, Day 3, slides 70 and 71 and Day 4, Slides 22, 23 and 24 and explain how you match the OBS to the WBS to create the WORK PACKAGE ASSIGNMENTS. (Also known as CONTROL ACCOUNTS)

    Your RAM gives them the authority and their roles but you need to explain more clearly how that applies to the work packages/control accounts.

    Maybe do that for your next blog posting?

    BR,
    Dr. PDG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

W1_Thuraiya_Leadership Styles analysis Using Tuckman model

W1_MA_Tuckman Analysis Assignment